Traveling over the holiday season can be pricey, but bringing along a travel rewards credit card can significantly reduce the cost of your entire travel experience. For starters, credit cards geared towards vacationers typically waive foreign transaction fees, which can save you money on every one of your purchases abroad. Moreover, with certain cards, you’ll be able to earn extra points on travel purchases, such as on hotels, airfare, and at restaurants. Even better, by choosing a travel rewards credit card that come with a signup bonus, you’ll be able to acquire a ton of bonus points for simply opening the card.
1. Capital One® Venture® Rewards Card
The Capital One® Venture® Rewards card is one of the best travel rewards cards on the market, and it’s an even better buy during the holidays. The Venture® Rewards card not only offers a highly competitive early spend bonus, but also waives any foreign transaction fees, and annual fee the first year. This card boasts 2X miles for every dollar spent and extreme flexibility with no blackout dates. If you’re looking for a no hassle rewards card, The Capital One® Venture® Rewards card has you covered!
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn unlimited 2X miles per dollar on every purchase, every day
- New! Earn 10 miles per dollar on hotels when you pay with your Venture card at hotels.com/venture; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime
- Travel when you want with no blackout dates
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
2. Bank of America Travel Rewards®
Seeing as Bank of America was the first bank to issue credit cards, they might be one of the most trusted names in banking. The Bank of America Travel Rewards® credit card does not disappoint. Although it offers a slightly lower sign up bonus, it makes up for it with 0% APR for 12 billing cycles. The Bank of America Travel Rewards® credit card also offers 1.5 points per every dollar spent, and you'll never pay an annual fee or foreign transaction fees. Here’s the kicker, if you’re a Bank of America customer, you get an additional 10% customer bonus points on every purchase too! If you’re looking for a no fuss card with easy to redeem points, this card is for you.
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire
- 20,000 online bonus points if you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $200 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Use your card to book your trip how and where you want – you’re not limited to specific websites with blackout dates or restrictions
- Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for flights, hotels, vacation packages, cruises, rental cars, or baggage fees
- Comes with chip technology for enhanced security and protection at chip-enabled terminals
- 0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases, then 16.24% - 24.24% Variable APR
- Get an additional 10% customer points bonus on every purchase when you have an active Bank of America® checking or savings account
- If you’re a Preferred Rewards client, you can increase that bonus to 25% - 75%
3. Chase Sapphire Preferred®
The third card to make our top list is the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card. Chase is extremely well known for having great travel rewards cards, and the Sapphire Preferred® might just be their best yet. Like the Venture® card, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® offers a highly competitive sign-up bonus which equates to $625 in travel rewards when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards. The points system for the Sapphire Preferred® is designed to really benefit the frequent traveler with 2X points on travel and dining and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases. Chase offers premium travel and purchase benefits on things like trip cancellations, so if you’re looking for good rewards and peace of mind, this might just be your card.
*this card is not currently available on our site
No matter where you chose to spend your holidays, don’t leave home without your travel rewards credit card. Travel, Earn, Redeem, Repeat. That’s our holiday motto!