Card Review: Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Basics The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card offers best-in-market cash back rewards on restaurants and entertainment paired with an attractive signup bonus, making this card a tempting choice for the out-on-the-town cardholder. Key Details: Enjoy a one-time $500 signup bonus when you spend $3,000 in the first three months Earn a whopping […]
The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card offers best-in-market cash back rewards on restaurants and entertainment paired with an attractive signup bonus, making this card a tempting choice for the out-on-the-town cardholder.
- Enjoy a one-time $500 signup bonus when you spend $3,000 in the first three months
- Earn a whopping 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores, and 1% on everything else. Plus, earn 8% cash back on tickets at Vivid Seats through May 2020.
- Annual fee: $0 for the first year, $95 after that
$500 Signup Bonus
Like many high-end rewards cards, the Savor card offers an attractive sign-up bonus. You’ll earn $500 after spending $3,000 during the first three months. The minimum spend averages out to $1,000 a month, which is relatively low for most people who are serious about credit card rewards.
Premium Cash Back Rewards
The main draw of the Savor® card is the high cash back rate on dining and entertainment – 4% is as good as it gets. That’s unlimited cash back, so you don’t need to worry about caps or tiers. As long as your account is open, rewards never expire.
“Entertainment” sounds a bit vague but is actually quite inclusive. Capital One defines it as “Buying tickets to a movie, play, concert, sporting event, tourist attraction, theme park, aquarium, zoo, dance club, pool hall or bowling alley. Also, making purchases at record store and video rental locations.”
You also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% everywhere else. In addition, you can earn 8% cash back when you buy tickets at Vivid Seats through May 2020.
The high cash back rates on dining and entertainment make Savor an appetizing option for frequent diners, foodies, and those with active social lives – millennials come to mind.
$95 Annual Fee Waived for the First Year
Nobody likes paying an annual fee, but the cards with the best rewards usually come with them. Capital One Savor’s $95 annual fee is waived for the first year, so you can try the card risk-free.
Cardholders who spend a lot on going out – to restaurants and/or events – will find the annual fee is justified. Those who don’t might be better off considering the Capital One® SavorOne℠ Cash Rewards Credit Card, which offers 3% cash back on dining and entertainment with a $150 signup bonus for spending $500 in the first 3 months at no annual fee.
Flexible Redemption Options
One of the great things about the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards card is its flexibility. Not only is the unlimited cash back structure simple, but so are the redemption options.
You can redeem your cash back anytime as a statement credit or check or use it to purchase a wide selection of gift cards. There’s even an option to set up an automatic redemption schedule:
- At a specific time each year or
- When you’ve accumulated a set amount of cash back ($25, $50, $100, or $200)
The Savor card comes with a few valuable insurance benefits and other extras that make it even more appealing to cardholders who take advantage.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver – Save on car rental insurance.
- Travel accident coverage – Most travelers will have a separate travel insurance policy, but the extra travel accident protection doesn’t hurt.
- Extended purchase warranty – Don’t buy the optional extended warranty, Capital One® Savor® has you covered.
- Price protection (for 120 days after purchase) – If you find a better price on a purchase, you’ll be refunded the difference.
- $0 Fraud liability – You’re never liable for fraudulent transactions.
- Receive a monthly statement credit for a Postmates Unlimited monthly membership through Dec. 2019 with the Capital One Savor Card
- No foreign transaction fees – This is a big one for travelers and online shoppers.
- Concierge services – Few cardholders take advantage of concierge services, but why not take the work out of scoring event tickets and making reservations?
- Roadside assistance – Broken down? Call Capital One and they’ll arrange services.
- 24-hour travel assistance – If you lose your card while traveling, call for a quick replacement and a cash advance.
- Premier access – Capital One Savor is a card for those who enjoy dining and entertainment, so it makes sense that cardholders get exclusive access to and discounts on culinary experiences and event tickets.
- Generous sign-up bonus with a reasonable minimum spend
- Highest cash back rate on dining and entertainment in the market
- Unlimited cash back
- Rewards never expire
- The annual fee is waived for the first year
- Flexible redemption options
- No foreign transaction fees
- Insurance and other benefits built in
- The regular annual fee is $95
- Low cash back rate on any spending that doesn’t fall into the dining, entertainment, or grocery store categories
- You need excellent credit to qualify
- The 2% cash back on grocery store purchases excludes superstores like Walmart® and Target®
The Bottom Line
With its generous $500 signup bonus and best-in-market cash back rewards on dining and entertainment, the Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards card is a smart pick for people with above average spending in those categories (and excellent credit). The suite of extra perks makes it a well-rounded card that’s absolutely worth considering.
The $95 annual fee will give some cause for pause, but the Capital One Savor Rewards card is free for the first year, so there’s little risk in taking the card for a test drive. That said, in the long term, the annual fee means that only people who spend big on dining and entertainment will get maximum value from this card. Homebodies will want to look elsewhere.